Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Home-made Laundry Soap--A Sensory Experieince


I have been making our laundry soap for about a year now and I LOVE it!  This was the first time I tried it with liquid soap--and it takes way less stuff to make it and takes less room--awesome!  I'm all about saving space and having enough for like 6 months at a time.

This is my recipe:

1 Bar Pink Zote Soap (or FelsNaptha)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Baking Soda

  • Grate bar of soap--from what I've read you can use about any soap for this part, but I wanted to try out the Zote Soap--it's PINK!   
  • Melt soap in a large sauce pan with at least 4 cups of boiling water.  If the water is boiling and then pour in, you'll get fewer suds then if you try to bring it to a boil before adding it.  I did this by boiling it in my tea pot and adding it as I stirred the soap. (I know I should have pics of these two steps, but I honestly wasn't expecting to blog about this today...)
  • Add Dry ingredients--stir till dissolved. 
  • Before setting overnight.
  • Pour into 5 Gal bucket and let set over night.  If you have a lid, don't put it on tight--just set it on top.  
  • After it sets it will be super thick--thicker then I expected.  I tried to break it up with a spoon a little, but found it worked much better to reach in there and squish it by hand--so I called in my team of highly skilled squishers!
After setting overnight it looks and feels like Jello!






"I'm squishing under the pink sea jellyfish into angel barf!"
  •  It will be lumpy--my three boys each had two turns and took as much time was they  wanted per turn and it still took a while. It was also super fun!
  • After all the big lumps are broken up, just add pour it into and old laundry soap container--fill container half way, add 4 drops of essential oils if you like.  I used 2 Rosemary and 2 Tea Tree oil (I'm still loving the DoTerra oils!).  Finish filling the container with hot water, shake and use.  
  • Replace lid on the rest of the concentrate and store at room temp.  Easy enough?  and I don't have 20 bottles of this stuff all over my house! 

    The cost of the whole thing was under $6 and it will make 10 gallons of laundry soap!  Not bad for a days work!  Should last about 6 months. 
My boys were super proud of their soap--Izz wouldn't turn around so I put a smiley face on the back of his head.

 That's all!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment